Thursday, May 19, 2011

Make the Grade

As this school year is winding down, teachers will be preparing the final report cards for each student.  Report cards are a way of giving some kind of measurement to the progress and aptitude of  an individual.  My devotional this week presented an interesting thought.  When I was in school, it would have been nice if my friends could have given me my grades or even better, if I could have graded myself.  There have been times with my own kids that I wish I could have given them their grades.  But alas, the grades must come from the teacher.

At the end of your day, do you ever reflect and give yourself a grade?  Maybe you had a particularly productive day.  For me that would mean, the house is spotless, the children are clean and homework is done, the family is digesting the delicious meal that I prepared, and everyone in the house is getting along.  That would be an A+ day to me.  Or perhaps I had received several complements on a given day.  My boss tells me I am doing a great job.  My friends say nice things about my children.  My husband comments that I am more beautiful than ever and my kids express to me their love.  That would certainly feel like an A+ day.
But the truth is this; just like it was in school, neither my friends, family, nor I, can really give an accurate grade to my day. 

Consider this writing of Paul in 1 Corinthians 4
1 A person should consider us in this way: as servants of Christ and managers of God's mysteries. 2 In this regard, it is expected of managers that each one be found faithful. 3 It is of little importance that I should be evaluated by you or by a human court. In fact, I don't even evaluate myself. 4 For I am not conscious of anything against myself, but I am not justified by this. The One who evaluates me is the Lord. 5 Therefore don't judge anything prematurely, before the Lord comes, who will both bring to light what is hidden in darkness and reveal the intentions of the hearts. And then praise will come to each one from God.

God is the only One who can truly place a grade on your day and on your life!  And what is it based on?  The intentions of your heart.  The last verse says that if my heart is in the right place with Him, I will receive praise from God!! That is both relieving and scary.  It is a relief because we are free from the bondage of the opinion of others (and ourselves), but scary because it forces us to evaluate the intentions behind what we do.  Everything we do, we should do out of love for our Savior and gratitude for the mercy and grace that salvation affords.  Just as we must follow the college professor's agenda to be successful in our learning, we cannot expect to set aside God's agenda for our day and then hope that He is pleased with our progress in our daily walk with Him.

Today, look to the Supreme Teacher for His agenda.  Then, look only to Him to grade your day.  Do not let your conscience be falsely clear as a result of being dulled down.  But also, do not be overly burdened by unnecessary guilt.  Only God can determine what makes for a spiritually productive day.  And it has a lot more to do with what we "do" do, rather than what we "don't" do.

And by the way, this is one learning institution from which we never graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment