Thursday, June 9, 2011

Afraid of The Lord's Prayer??

Looking at familiar passages of Scripture in different translations is a great way to get a fresh perspective. The Message Bible seeks to take the original words of the Bible and translate them into our most modern jargon.  While my favorite translation is the NIV, I like to look to The Message for an interesting take and modern commentary on God's Word.

Today I read Matthew 6 from The Message Bible and therein is found "The Lord's Prayer".  This was Jesus' example of how our prayers should be simple and sincere before God.

 7-13"The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They're full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don't fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

   Our Father in heaven,
   Reveal who you are.
   Set the world right;
   Do what's best— as above, so below.
   Keep us alive with three square meals.
   Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
   Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
   You're in charge!
   You can do anything you want!
   You're ablaze in beauty!
      Yes. Yes. Yes.

Notice how it rephrases "Thine is the power" with "You can do anything you want!".

I decided to pray this prayer this morning and something strange happened to me when I got to that line, "You can do anything you want!"  I was surprised that I actually choked on those words and felt fear come up in me.  I was fine with the line before, You're in charge--that was comforting.  And the line after about His beauty, I totally agree.  But I hesitated on agreeing that God can do anything He wants because of the fear of what would that give God permission to do (as if He needs my permission).  This revealed to me that I don't quite have a true grasp of His love and perfect character.  I hope my heart and mind will come to the place of fully trusting that God wants me to have my best, most abundant life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment